Some thoughts this morning – one week before we fly back to Wisconsin.
1) Chris is watching Coen brothers interviews on his iPad beside me with large headphones on and occasionally laughing to himself. I’ll let him be. We get along for some reason.
2) I have so many film clips to organize and name right now it’s not even funny. But it is actually a joyful experience as I start to see this movie come together. And it gives me hope.
3) We watched Blood Simple a couple nights ago and I came to the conclusion that we know nothing about movies and should just quit while we’re ahead.
4) I like this quote from the Gnostics (Gospel of St. Thomas – not an expert on this stuff though..): “If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.” So there you go.
5) I really really like this article about productivity. Will it make me more productive? I don’t know – I’m a bit of a meanderer at times and at other times I’m pretty focused. But that part about mornings I know works for sure – I’ve been doing morning pages (3 pages of longhand nonstop writing about anything and everything right when you wake up) for about 5 years solid now and for years an on off before that. It always brings me into a good mood and narrows down my focus for the day (coffee helps too). The trick is using that focus for good instead of evil – whatever evil means…(Facebook, piddly emails, mindless tasks I could handle later instead of what requires real attention).
6) It’s been so hot here lately. 90s. I know it will get worse especially in August and September. I am so Northern. I can handle freezing cold, scraping the ice off the car in the dark early morning. But our air conditioner in this apartment is pretty weak and only cools off one room. With the heat I’m about as happy as a wet cat and I can’t get anything done. (And has anyone else noticed how AWFUL weather.com is nowadays with its doomsday click-thru articles? Can’t we just get the weather and be left in peace?)
7) I know I’m on a Coen streak, but I loved this interview with Frances McDormand and appreciated her take on a director knowing how they’re going to edit the movie before shooting it. Yes, yes, yes. At least we got that going. We talk about the editing nonstop.
8) Saw this documentary recently. Tiny. I didn’t love it, but it kind of drew me in anyway. I certainly don’t want to live in such a teeny home as these people, but I appreciate the rejection of bigger as better with homes. I’d be happy to fix up an old farmhouse someday. Also reminded me of a movie I kind of love (Off the Map).
9) Also saw Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me. Great. What a lady. Also reminds me of what propelled me away from theater and certain personality types that are allowed because they’re “brilliant.” Er…nope, not for me. (Okay, I admit film has them too) But a great documentary. I only work with sweethearts when I have the choice.
10) I was listening to Marc Maron interview Rosanne Cash on his excellent WTF podcast. I was so struck when he asked her about her father Johnny Cash and if she had been with him when he died. She paused and then gave the best answer. She asked if his parents were both still alive and he said yes. To that she said (to the effect of), “It’s a very innocent question. And only someone who hasn’t lost a parent would ask that.” But she said it in the kindest way – and she’s absolutely right. And she said exactly what was running through my mind for the first two years after my dad died – “half of what created my DNA was suddenly gone.” I remember I kept thinking that. I also remember feeling like I had lost a limb.
11) With that, I need to work more on this movie. Look at the script. See where we can go deeper with the writing – more specific, sharper. It’s tough – I keep wanting to add to the movie. Don’t go wide, go deep.
12) Okay one more. I’m currently working on gathering some clips for a private “teaser” compilation – just raw footage (not necessarily what will make it into the final film) to show the cast and crew and get everyone excited about phase 2 of filming. We’re also planning on making this available to our contributors. So Indiegogo funders, you can look forward to that! And if you’re interested in making a donation (and seeing some of what we’ve shot so far!), please do so on our Get Involved page. :-) Had to throw that out there.
By the way, we were obsessed with this movie as children. Watching it later in my life, I realize I didn’t understand half of what was going on or just how brilliant it really is.